About ESI Scheme
What is E.S.I. Scheme?
Employees State Insurance Scheme of India is the multidimensional Social Security System, to provide social security protection to workers employed in the organized sector in conceivable contingencies like sickness, maternity and death or disablement due to employment injury including commuting accidents and occupational disease. The medical benefits are administered by the State Government and remaining cash benefits by the E.S.I. Corporation.
All employees of establishments drawing wages up to ceiling limit are covered under E.S.I. Act.
Coverage of E.S.I. Scheme in Goa:
Full Medical benefits are delivered to Insured Persons and his family through network of 13 E.S.I. Dispensaries in different Talukas and one ESI Hospital in Margao.
Insured Persons who requires special medical care are referred to Goa Medical College and if needs investigations and treatments or super specialty treatment are referred to tie-up hospitals.
The medical benefits comprises of specialist and diagnostic services, hospitalization, super specialty treatment, free supply of drugs and dressings, provision of artificial aids and appliances etc.
The scheme also offers old age medical care (in E.S.I. Hospitals/Dispensaries only) to retired Insured Persons, disabled workers and their spouses subject to fulfillment of certain conditions.
About E.S.I. Scheme Goa in brief:
Government of Goa, Daman and Diu vide Notification dated 21/06/1977 has implemented E.S.I. Scheme in the revenue limits of following 07 Talukas:
- The Circles Panaji and Carambolim in Taluka Ilhas.
- The Circles of Margao, Verna and Benaulim in Taluka Salcete.
- The Circles of Mapusa and Calangute in Taluka Bardez
- The Circles Vasco-da-Gama and Cansaulim in Taluka Mormugao.
- The Circles of Ponda and Priol in Taluka Ponda.
- The circles of Bicholim and Sanquelim in Bicholim Taluka, and
- The circles of Quepem in Taluka Quepem, in the Goa district of the Union Territory of Goa, Daman and Diu.
And vide Notification dated 12/06/2012 the E.S.I. Scheme was implemented in the remaining Talukas in the Stat of Goa, w.e.f. 1st July 2012 there by entire state of Goa is covered under E.S.I. Scheme. In the following areas.
All the areas falling within the revenue limits of:-
- The Circle of Pernem and Mandrem in Taluka Pernem.
- The Circle of Valpoi, Birondem and Poriem in Taluka Sattari.
- The Circle of Colem and Snaguem in Taluka Sanguem.
- The Circle of Chaudi and Poinguinim in Taluka Canacona.
- The Circle of Bali in Taluka Quepem.
The Government vide Notification dated 18/03/2016 has extended the provisions of the E.S.I. Act to the Educational Institution (only private non-aided by the Government), run by individuals, trustees, societies or other organizations, wherein ten or more persons are employed or were employed on any day of the preceding twelve months and to Medical Institutions (including corporate, joint sector, trust, charitable and private ownership hospitals, nursing homes, diagnostic centres, pathological labs), wherein ten or more persons are employed or were employed on any day of the preceding twelve months in the Areas where the Scheme has already been brought into force under Section 1(3) and 1(5) of the Act.